Image Map

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Small Moment Writing!!

Hi Friends and HAPPY SUNDAY!!

I am excited to share this post with you all about small moment writing!!  My first grade writers have been doing such a great job generating ideas and putting them down on paper, so now it is time to "zoom in" and teach the children to take their big moments and narrow them down to something smaller. 

Now...I had every intention to bring the introduction of this unit to life by using a watermelon so I made my anchor chart  using watermelon pictures... 





 ...BUT that didn't work out! 
Did you know that watermelons are now made SEEDLESS!?! Ah-I didn't get that memo and don't they know I need the seeds for my small moment unit!!
SO, what's a teacher to do after visiting FOUR grocery stores and still not finding a watermelon with seeds... TIME TO IMPROVISE...PUMPKIN IT IS! :)





We talked about how the pumpkin is the big moment, like going to the beach.  So many things happen at the beach so we talked about making it smaller into a slice.  Then we went even smaller, into a seed. 


The visual of the pumpkin really helped them to understand the true meaning behind this unit. 


Then, it was time to WRITE!  The students worked in partnerships and I made a planning sheet for them to use to help organize their thoughts :)

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Small-Moment-Writing-Planning-Sheet-FREEBIE-1469669
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Small-Moment-Writing-Planning-Sheet-FREEBIE-1469669

*Click on one of the pictures and it will take you to my TPT shop to download your FREE copy*

There are some great things happening in first grade and I love the e-mails I am seeing from you guys!! If there is something positive happening in your classroom I would LOVE to hear about it!! You all are amazing and are making such a difference in the lives of children!!!

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment